Call for Application: Postdoctoral Fellow in Indonesian Studies at Peking University, China (to start in September 2020)
The Department of Southeast Asian Studies at the School of Foreign Language (SFL) of Peking University (PKU), China, seeks to appoint a postdoctoral fellow (two-year fix-term contract) in Indonesian Studies, with an expected starting date of September 1, 2020. The Department welcomes applicants from all disciplines in humanities and social sciences with a strong research interest in Indonesia. During his/her term at PKU, the postdoc fellow is expected to conduct original research on topics of his/her choice, teach courses at both undergraduate and graduate levels, and contribute to academic activities of the SFL and across the PKU campus.
- The position is open to researchers of all nationalities, but the candidate must be a native speaker of Indonesian with excellent command of English. Chinese language ability is preferred but not required.
- The candidate must have obtained his/her Ph.D. in relevant fields in social sciences and humanities from a reputable university in the past three years. Researchers holding a tenure or tenure-track faculty position are not eligible to apply.
- Ph.D. candidate with a “all-but-dissertation (ABD)” status may also apply provided that he/she has fulfilled all the degree requirements and is set to graduate by August 31, 2020. The candidate must be able to provide an official letter from the Registrar’s Office to confirm that his/her doctoral degree will be awarded before commencing the post-doc fellowship at PKU.
- Conduct research under the supervision of PKU faculty members. Collaborative work is highly encouraged (40%).
- Teach ONE undergraduate class per semester independently for FOUR semesters; When necessary, co-teach graduate seminars with other faculty members. The teaching load will be lower than four hours per week (30%).
- Help coordinate lectures, workshops, exchange programs of the Southeast Asian Studies program at PKU. (20%)
- Help revise Indonesian textbooks and participate in other activities. (10%)
Terms of appointment:
Based on academic excellence, the successful applicant will be considered for either the International Postdoctoral Exchange Fellowship (IPEF) of the Office of China Postdoc Council (OCPC), or PKU’s Boya Postdoctoral Fellowship (BPF).
- The IPEF recipient will receive an all-inclusive package of 300,000 RMB per year including salary, housing subsidies, and health insurances. For details, see http://english.chinapostdoctor.org.cn/content/details10_129.html
- The BPF recipient will receive an annual salary of 185,000 RMB, plus 91,000RMB of social insurances and housing subsidies. An additional 60,000 RMB subsidy may be awarded to postdocs living off-campus. For details, see https://postdocs.pku.edu.cn/zpxx/91081.htm
How to apply:
Interested researchers are invited to submit their applications via email to Assistant Professor Kankan Xie at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 29, 2020.
A complete application portfolio must include:
- Completed application forms for both the IPEF and BPF. Candidates must submit their IPEF application online before forwarding the printed forms to us. BPF application form is available at https://postdocs.pku.edu.cn/docs/2019-03/20190308161500537165.docx;
- A cover letter outlining the applicant’s career trajectory, research and teaching interests, and plans to work at PKU;
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae;
- A summary of proposed research project (up to eight single-spaced pages);
- Two writing samples (one in English and the other in Indonesian);
- Two recommendation letters (including one from the applicant’s doctoral supervisor). Applicants are responsible to ensure that their referees will send their letters directly to the review committee at email@example.com by February 29, 2020.
- PhD diploma or certificate of completion for degree holders. PhD candidate should provide a letters from his/her department or advisor, stating that the applicant will graduate before starting the post-doc fellowship.
For further inquiries, please contact Assistant Professor Kankan Xie at firstname.lastname@example.org